Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday Sunday

Every Sunday, I'm going to post a Bible verse or the lyrics to a hymn that means something to me.

From Wikipedia, the lyrics to "How Great Thou Art."

Verse 1:
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

Verse 2:
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:

(Repeat Refrain.)

Verse 3:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:

(Repeat Refrain.)

Verse 4:
When Christ shall come with shouts of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!

(Repeat Refrain.)


This hymn makes me cry every time I hear it, which has less to do with the lyrics than might be expected. You see, it was performed at both my parents' funerals.

It's been twelve and thirteen years since those bleak days, but I still can not listen to this hymn without crying. It was my mother's favorite, which was why it was chosen to be sung at her funeral. My father so loved the way Miss Janice sang it at Mom's funeral, that we asked her to sing it at his as well.

I'm not sure why this has been on my mind lately, but it has. So I thought I'd share. Thanks for reading. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. This is also one of my favorite songs and I have to be careful not to sing it when muirnait is around.

    I'm so happy you had the strength to actually post this, m'love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm glad I did too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete